- Large pot with lid
- Potato masher
Mis en place
- Cut the potatoes length-wise.
- Optionally remove the skin.
- Optionally score the skin into bit-sized sections
- Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the head to medium-low, simmer until tender (20-25 minutes)
- Drain the water and return the potatoes to the pot.
- Turn on heat to high and dry the potatoes for about 30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat.
- Coarsley mash the potatos.
- Add the butter.
- Slowly and the milk until desired consisntency..
- Continue mashing until texture is smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in salt and black pepper to taste.
- Strip the leaves from thyme sprigs directly into the pot.