|AP Flour||1⁄3 Cup|
|Half-and-half||360ml (1 1⁄2 cup)|
|Milk||360ml (1 1⁄2 cup)|
|Black pepper||To taste|
|Russet potatoes||.9kg (2 lbs)|
|dcied cooked ham||720g (3 cups)|
|Monterey Jack Cheese||2 cups - grated|
##Equipment 2-3 quart cassorole dish mandolin (recommended) 12-14 inch skillet
Mis en place
- Slice the potatoes really thin using a mandolin or a really sharp knife.
- Generously butter the cassorole dish
- Add the butter and onions to a large skillet over medium heat and saute until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and whisk them together. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the half-and-half and milk and whisk around, allowing the mixture to thicken; this will take 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add some pepper, stir the sauce, reduce the heat and keep warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add half the sliced potatoes and half the diced ham.
- Sprinkle on half the cheese then pour on half the sauce from the skillet.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a layer of cheese and sauce. Sprinkle extra pepper on top.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake until the cheese is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired and serve it up.